10 Tips for a Smooth Military Move
Whether you’re moving across town or around the world, these tips will help you make sure your move comes off without a hitch.
- Visit the Defense Personal Property System website, Move.mil. Many service members can use this site to set up and manage their move. The site also has helpful information on many different moving topics.
- Set up your move online or contact your installation’s transportation office as soon as possible after you receive orders. This way, you’ll have a better chance of getting your preferred move dates.
- Find the weight allowance for your household goods using the table on the DPS Before You Move page.
- Try to arrange your move outside the peak moving months of June, July and August. If you must move during this time, you may need to be flexible with y
our move dates.
- Use the online tools at Move.mil and Plan My Move to estimate the weight of your household goods.
- Purge your belongings of items you haven’t used within the last 12 months. Getting rid of these items will lessen the chance you will exceed your weight allowance.
- Never schedule a pick up on the day you need to be out of your house or apartment.
- Schedule a pre-move survey with your transportation service provider at least five days prior to your pack up.
- In most cases, you can expect one pack day for every 4,000 pounds of estimated shipment.
- Know the rules for filing a claim. You will need to file a report of loss or damage within 75 days of your delivery.
- More information for reporting damage and filing a claim is available on Move.mil.
- Take the Customer Satisfaction Survey on Move.mil. This survey allows you to rate the service and performance provided by your transportation service provider and ensure that only the best companies are selected to move your personal property.
Provided by http://www.militaryonesource.mil “Military OneSource is provided by the
Department of Defense at no cost to active-duty, National Guard and reserve service members (regardless of activation status), and their families. It is a virtual extension of installation services. Visit
Military OneSource today or call 800-342-9647.”
Comments (No Responses )
No comments yet.